Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Perazzeta Syrah IGT

This wine has quickly become a cult classic, if such a thing exists from the Italian market, in my area. With a total production of ~80 cases a year (yes, less than 100 cases per year) it quickly dissipates once it hits the market here. My favorite wine shop takes in nearly three cases with the majority of that pre-sold to people "in the know" because of prior experience or just on advice from trusted advisors.

What strikes me is that we're talking about a 100% Syrah wine from ITALY! Don't get me wrong, this wine comes from a very impressive winemaking region, Maremma, in Tuscany, but a Syrah?! Trust me, once it crosses your lips you'll be lining up for it again and again.

This wine is impossibly decadent with a mouth-feel that is quite rich and supple. While drinking it sans meal is all well and good, adding a nice pasta dish with mussels or spicy sausage helps this wine reach it's stride.

An incredibly labor-intensive production, including thrice-checked grape selection and open barrel fermentation, make this Syrah one of the greatest I know of from Italy.

The price may make some people chuckle or think twice, but at the ~$40 this wine is value oriented in my opinion. You get more than you pay for from this venerable winery.

No comments: